Friday, March 04, 2005

Just Observing

Just Observing

Rain just will not stop. Having steady showers and it just pours down with each one. Whole weekend is gonna be like this, which means I'll be heading straight for Old Town and the hotel patio for breakfast until next Sat. morn at least. Which is just fine with me.

So four of us at breakfast down there this morn. J, C, B and me. And the hotel mgr, who has just returned from an Hawaii vacation with his wife stops by and gives us each a candy...coconut candy. Little white chunk. Sort of a hard candy. J, C, B all liked it. I about gagged and spit it out. Weird, cause I like fresh coconut, coconut pie, flaked coconut, etc. But that candy is godawful.

C and I headed outta there and went to the movies. Saw "The Pacifier" with Vin Diesel. Was a fun movie. Enjoyable and lived up to expectations in almost all ways, in spite of the opening scene on the beach. I'm there in my seat, straight up like a board, going, Oh no. No, no, no. Not in this life would the SEALs do that. Once they're in the water, okay. But no way that bit on the beach. Know why the writers/director did it, but man, the SEALs are gonna about perish when they see it. Ouch! No matter. It's a fun film and worth seeing.

I have yet to see a film that gets the SEALs or their ops right. I'll never forget sitting in a theaters among a mess of them to see "GI Jane". Talk about some grim looks walking out afterward. Right off the top, I can tell you there is never gonna be an operating SEAL female. Demi Moore did a great job, even went to SEAL Team over on Coronado, but there or no, that's not gonna cut it.
Ain't gonna happen.

Was damned pleased and totally surprised to find an email from DC in my inbox this afternoon. Thought of him a lot reading a book that had to do with Khe Sanh in Vietnam. He was among the Marines there during that battle. Hell of a fine writer. Hilarious guy. Just disappeared. So now he's up in northern Calif and happy as hell and married. Very cool. We all missed him...and he's been a topic of conversation among us for the last two weeks...and bam! Here he is! Excellent.

Raining like hell again. Sheesh!
Wrap.

No comments: