Friday, April 15, 2005

Choo-choo...

I'm seriously wanting to know why...about every two weeks or so...a freight train somewhere in the nation derails. I don't know when I've ever seen so many derailments in so many states. And another thing...I don't see many explanations as to just what the hell caused them.

Another went today. Fire everywhere. Area evacuated because of chemical tankers on that train. Are the tracks not being properly maintained? Are the train wheels defective? Or is there sabotage? Or all of the above?

We're sure having a lot of train troubles lately--both freight and Amtrak. I flat don't like it one bit.

Just waiting for one of those or the trolley to derail in downtown San Diego. Their tracks run side by side along Pacific Hwy, then left up Harbor Drive, between Petco Park and the Conv Ctr and on into the yards. Been surprisingly few accidents here though. Mostly accidents concern the trolley and cars on the track.

I love the sound of train whistles...especially at night. Always have, always will. Magical sound that speaks of other places far away....
Wrap.

2 comments:

Nan said...

We've had several derailments close to here, too. In one there was a chemical spill that leaked into the waterways causing people to fear for their drinking water, and the drinking water of their livestock. Pretty serious.

At the time I was, as you are, thinking about the number of these chemical spills and did a search. Couldn't find that much, but I may try again, since it's been awhile. I'm not that good at tracking down info. You seem to have a lot of contacts. Maybe one of them will know how to find out statistics on the incidence of this type of occurence.

I'd be willing to bet that the number is staggering. Forget terrorists. We're doing the job for them with our railroads.

Watch 'n Wait said...

Well I'm sure wondering what the hell is going on too, Cate. Will see if I can track down stats for you. Doesn't help that BushCo has cut funding for them.