Monday, January 24, 2005

Just Observing

Just Observing

BushCo's strategy right down the line:

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry
into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It
both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind...And when the drums
of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind
has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the
citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded with
patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and
gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."
>
> William Shakespeare

This quote sent courtesy of author, CJ Hannah. My thanks, Jerry.

2 comments:

SheaNC said...

That quote is all too true. But I have something to add to it... it reminded me of that quote by Herman Goering ("Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy...the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders...All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.").

So I went looking for this quote, but instead of Goering I typed in Goebbels (the other Nazi). The quote I found from him was partcularly chilling: "We enter parliament in order to supply ourselves, in the arsenal of democracy, with its own weapons. If democracy is so stupid as to give us free tickets and salaries for this bear's work, that is its affair. We do not come as friends, nor even as neutrals. We come as enemies. As the wolf bursts into the flock, so we come." -- Paul Joseph Goebbels, Nazi German Propaganda Minister.

Why are there so many parallels between the Bushites and the Nazis? I hate to be one of those people who says "Bush scares me," because I refuse to cower before their hideousness. But this... it is pretty frightening.

Watch 'n Wait said...

Your quotes certainly fit the present situation, Shea. I recall as a kid, my dad saying, "If the shoe fits, wear it." Frighteningly, those quotes fit this administration far too well. These people are increasingly scary as all hell.