Thursday, July 14, 2005

Goin' nowhere!

Rehnquist Denies Rumors Of Retirement
POSTED: 6:12 pm PDT July 14, 2005
UPDATED: 6:27 pm PDT July 14, 2005
WASHINGTON -- Chief Justice William Rehnquist is denying rumors of his retirement and said he will continue heading the court as long his health permits.

Interactive: Supreme Court: Filling The Bench
In Depth: Rehnquist Biography Fact Sheet

In a statement obtained by The Associated Press, Rehnquist said: "I want to put to rest the speculation and unfounded rumors of my imminent retirement."

Rehnquist goes on to say: "I am not about to announce my retirement. I will continue to perform my duties as chief justice as long as my health permits."

The 80-year-old Rehnquist, who is suffering from thyroid cancer, released the statement hours after being released from a Virginia hospital after being treated for two days with a fever.

Rehnquist has served on the Supreme Court for 33 years. He has continued going to work every day even as rumors swept Washington that he was about to step down. The speculation intensified after Justice Sandra Day O'Connor announced her retirement earlier this month.
Wrap...

No comments: