Friday, July 15, 2005

South Carolina: Theocracy State?

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Christian Exodus Planned For South Carolina
Jul 14, 2005, 5:43 PM

"I think it's fantastic, I think we need more of that actually. I don't know which direction our government is heading in, but I think they need Christian influence, it would go a long way, I really think so," says Mauldin resident, Reggie Brown.

According to Windy Sizemore of York, SC, "I don't think that any one group trying to take over is good in anything."

Plans to reform our government to more Christian-like principals are in the works and we may feel the effects, right here in the Upstate. That is because South Carolina has been chosen as the place for hundreds, even thousands of Christians to move to, in hopes of impacting the government. But people who live here have mixed opinions about the Christian Exodus.

Denise Collins-Bennett lives in Florence, SC and says, "I guess it's great to have more Christian groups moving here."

Here, is South Carolina: the chosen location for the Christian Exodus, a non-profit group organizing Christians to move to the Palmetto State to concentrate the number of Christians in one location with the intent to influence how the state governs. A plan that some residents say we need.

"I think it's fantastic, I think we need more of that actually. I don't know which direction our government is heading in, but I think they need Christian influence, it would go a long way, I really think so," says Mauldin resident, Reggie Brown.

Percy Croft of Greenville agrees, "America was founded on Christian principals...people with different views about Christianity, you have them getting into the elected positions and they don't want to see this country stay the way it is, they want it to change...They're getting away from what they were founded on."

But others say a Christian Exodus isn't a good idea.

According to Windy Sizemore of York, SC, "I don't think that any one group trying to take over is good in anything."

DeLane Breen lives in Greenville , she says, "Just the whole planned, big group, I don't know, the concept scares me a little bit and I'm not in favor of it at all."

The Group says they plan on having 2500 Christians moved to South Carolina by September 2006, and will begin several political campaigns at that time. They hope to have a major impact on State government by 2014.

Brown says, "I think it's great, bring them on."

Many others in the Upstate don’t agree with Brown’s enthusiasm and say they’re against the Exodus, this even includes Christians and Church Leaders and Pastors.

A conference on the Christian Exodus will be held in Greenville at the Hilton October 14-16, space is limited to only 210 people. You can find out more information on the conference and Exodus at www.christianexodus.org.
© 2005 FOX Carolina WHNS-TV.
Wrap....

No comments: