Saturday, May 14, 2005

The writers' affair...

Do I intend to see the Jane Fonda film, Monster? No. Do I intend to see Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang with Val Kilmer? Yes.

Just glanced out the window and see the air is full of motes. So many it looks the same as one of those light rains that are like heavy mists. Still, motes are not usually so very visable unless they cross the path of sunlight. It's twilight time and the sun is about to disappear into the Pacific. Only light from it is reflecting off the low clouds of the marine layer.

Saw some kind of affair involving writers that I thought looked rather worth attending...then I saw that Richard Lederer--ahh, the affair is the Eleventh Annual Book Awards celebrating the "achievements of the San Diego literary community in 2004"--is going to play host. They now have a website: www.sdbookawards.org and looks like Bradley Steffens has taken the outfit over. Has always been a dress-up occasion and that hasn't changed. Am I going? No.

Cannot abide Lederer. And why is it being held at the AMN Healthcare Building up in either the University Hts area or Sorrento Valley area? Wherever High Bluff Drive is in this town...

Doesn't help, I suppose, that before the book awards were put together, the founder, Chet Cunningham, phoned to see if I thought it a good idea. I did, and was on the original committee he put together. Chet is a terrific guy and one hell of a prolific writer. At this point, he's published well over 250 books. Almost all in mass market paperbacks. The guy can write anything. Gave himself a female name, Charlene something, and wrote a series of romance novels. Wrote a series--and still is, I believe, of SEAL novels. Wrote western novels. Wrote adventure novels. And on and on. The man can really turn 'em out, and they sell like crazy.

In any case, Chet kicked the book awards off. Always was a formal affair, always held in good hotels, always cocktails, dinner, speaker, then awards. Great fun gathering up with all the San Diego writers who attended. The famous Dr Suess was the speaker one of the few times I attended. Don't know how many of those crooked red and white striped hats I saw guys wearing that night. Had a blast. But that caliber speaker, and they had as much fun as everyone else, wandering around and talking and laughing up a storm.

Now I look at this invitation, read between the lines (and the lines as well) and know I'm not going near this thing. Don't know when Chet left or why. May have to phone him up and find out. Could be he just burned out after doing it a decade or close to it. He may not be well, or his lovely wife may have taken a turn for the worst. Or he may be too busy with too many books. I do know this...lose him and you've lost a lot. He really cared about writers. Lederer, in my opinion, cares about himself and his image and not much else. Will go and look at that website.

It's not that I don't care about the writers being honored. I do. Always have. The good writers speak for those who have no avenue to be heard. They're a part of civilization no country can afford to be without. Words are more powerful than bullets any day. Don't believe it? Did Bush talk this nation into war or not? Words...

No. Not going because this is more for self-aggrandizement of those like Lederer than the writers. Just that simple. It's a shame and a loss to the writing community. Of course I may well be in the minority. Doesn't matter to me. I just hope the writers benefit most in the end.
I'll know by who gets the most attention in the papers...and I'll be watching after this affair goes down the evening of May 21st.
Wrap.

No comments: