Thursday, June 21, 2007

The sitting ducks....

[Note: I'm a solid Dem, but, as a long time smoker, I stand with these conservative Repubs on this one. I notice that drinkers aren't getting taxed for this cause, and they're a hell of a lot more dangerous to public health than any smoker ever was. I don't see drinkers forbidden to drink in bars, restaurants, beaches, parks or anywhere else people gather. I mean after all, how would the movers and shakers in DC and elsewhere function without their cocktail parties?]

From truthout.org :

Conservative Republicans Oppose Cigarette Tax to Pay for Children's Healthcare

http://www.truthout.org/issues_06/062107HB.shtml

Many senators - including the GOP leader - anticipate bipartisan support for a proposed cigarette-tax hike to help pay for expanding children's health insurance coverage. But a small, yet potentially powerful, group of Republicans is vowing to fight any tax increase on principle.

Wrap...

3 comments:

SheaNC said...

As an ex-smoker, I can understand your point. I think a tax directed at smoking should only effect smoking-related issues, such as emphysema, lung cancer, etc.

I can envision a scenario where I would be denied, say, treatment for lung disease because it was caused by my decision to smoke. Would I be able to sue the tobacco companies for contributing to my condition? Maybe, but they are covered by years of posted warnings.

This opens up an interesting can of worms, as we move toward socialized medicine: what if patients were not covered when their illness was the result of their deliberate action?

Granny said...

Here in California, everytime they increase the cigarette tax, they say it's to encourage people to quit smoking.

If all these people quit smoking, what will happen to all that tax revenue?

I still smoke too. I've quit twice, 3 years each time, and gone back. It's about time to quit again.

I never did turn into one of those non-smoking nazis though.

I think they pick on smokers because we're a much easier target than big business for the gun or alcohol lobby.

Makes them feel they're doing something.

Watch 'n Wait said...

Shea..Know where you're coming from, but far as I'm concerned there's the matter of personal responsibility. One smokes and one takes responsibility for the results, if any. Been smoking for many years, just had a physical, am in excellent condition. Instead of going ballistic..which I sure can...I just light up and calm myself. :))

Granny...You're so right. It is always "follow the money" and the easier the target, once it's dehumanized sufficiently, the more money to be made. Smokers, after all the propoganda are, as I said, sitting ducks. In any case, once they get the $$$ it doesn't ever go where they say it's going. Perhaps a token amount, but that's about it. All of which leaves the do-gooders content. My dad always said, "Spare me from the righteous" and he knew what he was talking about. Disgusting people.