Saturday, July 08, 2006

Only stupid owners infuriate their editors & reporters!!!

From Cagle Newsletter:

MY LOCAL NEWSPAPER "BLOODBATH"

My own hometown newspaper, the Santa Barbara News-Press, has been in the news lately. I like the News-Press because they print my cartoons and they print a great international cartoon round-up each week - but my point of view is rather narrowly focused.

All of the top editors at the News-Press quit this week, along with a long-time local columnist, to protest eccentric editorial dictums from the paper's reclusive billionaire owner, Wendy McCaw.

Here are articles about my hometown tempest from the San Francisco Chronicle, Businessweek, Editor & Publisher, and the Los Angeles Times, which describes a "bloodbath". Here's a colorful local account that describes the News-Press as a "living hell."

Santa Barbara readers wouldn't know what had happened from reading the News-Press.

Steve Greenberg works at the next paper down the coast in Ventura, and I think he summed the situation up well with his cartoon.

Wrap...

No comments: