Saturday, June 21, 2008

1st day of summer...& it was HOT!!!

Man, I thought I was gonna perish in the heat here today and I'm in San Diego only about 5 miles from the coast. It had to be in the 80's. Don't laugh. For us, that's just entirely too warm and I don't care if it is the first day of summer. Perfect temp, as far as I'm concerned is somewhere between 68 and 72 degrees. No more, no less.

The thing I love most about San Diego is that no matter how hot the day, at sundown it begins to cool down. Temp just drops and drops when the marine layer of low clouds comes in...and stays in, usually, until mid-morning.

I suspect the beaches were jam-packed today. Most people don't linger too long in the Pacific unless they're surfers...or gluttons for punishment. The Pacific is not a friendly ocean.

I once asked a Navy SEAL how he felt about it. Seemed to me that since he'd volunteered to be a SEAL, he probably loved the ocean since SEALs spend a lot of time in the water. Know what he said when I asked him what his first thoughts were about the Pacific?

"Cold. Dark. Dangerous."

Which it truly is unless you're in Hawaai. Even then it's dark and dangerous. Always dangerous.

But the cool breezes that come ashore after a hot summer day like today are worth their weight in platinum.

Wrap...

No comments: