Friday, June 16, 2006

A Voter's experience at the polls this election...

From San Diego Union-Tribune Letters to the Editor:

Bad experience at the polls

I have voted in every election for the past 30 years. The experience I had in the June 6 primary was unbelievable and totally unacceptable.

When I arrived at the polls and was handed my ballot, I asked where were the voting booths. I was told they did not have them and to sit at a card table with three other voters. I objected, and they sent me to a corner of the garage to vote with privacy. While I was voting, the poll workers discovered that they did in fact have voting booths and started to assemble them. The time then was 8:45 a.m.

After I completed my ballot, I asked the whereabouts of the scanner. I was told they did not have one. At that point, one of the poll workers who had started to assemble the booths took my ballot, walked over to resume the assembly of the booths, with my ballot still in his hand! I told him I was not about to leave the polls without seeing my ballot placed in the ballot box. Finally, he put my ballot into the box (never scanned).

There are rules and regulations in place to assure ballots are handled properly. The Registrar of Voters Office needs to train poll workers to assure voters our ballots are handled properly.

Wrap...

No comments: